A FEW YEARS BACK MY SWEET JEMMA WAS PLAYING WITH A FLY THAT WAS HANGING OUT ON THE BACKYARD SCREEN DOOR. AS SHE PLAYED WITH IT THE DOOR OPEN SLIGHTLY …IT WASN’T LOCKED AND THAT’S HOW MY NIGHTMARE BEGAN………
We had only had her for six months and she was a rescue. Not only a rescue but a scardy cat, the one you think will never be that cuddly, loving, sleep in my bed kind of cat. Now in saying that, although she had not quite bonded with me yet, she had bonded with my other cat Fury. They were instantly best buddies it was incredible.
When I first noticed she was not around I went nuts calling and calling for her. Then the breakdown ensued and I was recklessly running around our townhouse complex frantically looking and yelling for her…she was nowhere.
So I did what YOU’RE doing now and went to the online forum to find out “What to do if Your cat gets out?”!!!!!!
HERE’S WHAT I FOUND OUT AND WHAT WORKED FOR ME.
1. LOOK AROUND YOUR HOUSE AND THE SURROUNDING AREA. CATS DO NOT USUALLY JUST RUN AWAY. THEY ARE MOST LIKELY HIDING AND WAITING TO BE FOUND. ( UNDER A PORCH, UNDER CARS, IN A BUSH ETC….MY JEMMA WAS HIDING IN THE BACK AREA OF THE NEIGHBOR BBQ!!!
2. PUT THEIR LITTER BOX OUTSIDE!!! CATS CAN SMELL THIS FROM VERY FAR AWAY!!
3. PUT SOME SMELLY CAT FOOD OUTSIDE OR SOME TUNA …. MAKE SURE YOU ARE MONITORING ALL OF THESE THINGS THOUGH OR YOU MIGHT BE ENTICING THE WRONG ANIMAL.
4. CALL OUT FOR YOU KITTY AND THEN LISTEN VERY QUIETLY….YOU’RE PROBABLY LISTENING FOR A VERY WEAK MEOW …..YOUR CAT IS SCARED. I FOUND THE BEST TIME TO DO THIS WAS LATE AT NIGHT AFTER EVERYONE ELSE IS IN AND THERE AREN’T A LOT OF CARS ON THE ROAD….LIKE 2 AM (THIS IS HOW I HEARD MY LITTLE JEMMA’S TINY MEOW)
5. IF YOU SEE THEM CLOSE BY YOUR DOOR MAYBE SHAKE THEIR BOWL OF FOOD OR BAG OF TREAT WITH THE DOOR OPEN CALL THEM IN….THIS IS WHAT DID VERY SOFTLY AND SHE WALKED THROUGH THE DOOR TO GET HER TREATS!!!!
6. POST A PIC OF YOUR CAT AROUND THE NEIGHBORHOOD AND TALK TO YOUR NEIGHBORS SO THEY KNOW THAT YOUR CAT IS MISSING (ASK THEM TO CHECK UNDER THEIR CARS OR BEEP BEFORE THEY DRIVE OFF ). CALL THE ANIMAL SHELTERS AND RESCUES AS WELL.
DON’T LOSE HOPE!!! THIS IS A SCARY TIME AND YOU NEED TO STAY CALM.
TO AVOID ALL OF THIS I HAVE FOUND A GREAT PRODUCT THAN CAN SAVE YOU FROM ALL OF THIS TORMENT AND IS QUITE REASONABLE. IT IS CALLED THE TABCAT CAT TRACKING COLLAR AND IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE BEST THINGS I’VE EVER BOUGHT!!!
Thankfully my Jemma as I said walked by the back door and I lured her in calmly with treats. But the guilt I felt thinking I had lost her and Fury’s best buddy, was just the worst feeling ever!! Seriously save your self these terrible feelings and invest in a tracker or GPS for you wonderful fur babies!!